Create a 30-Minute 121 Supporting Session Brief – comes from the Free Guide – ‘Are You Annoyed by How Little Line Managers Support the Skills Training of Their Teams?’
Creating something for someone to ‘shoot at’ is always easier than them having to start from scratch. By sharing what a 30-minute 121 supporting session looks like, the Line Manager can use it as a base for their learning support and build on it as they wish.
A 30-Minute 121 Supporting Session Briefing Would Look Like:
- Time: 30 minutes.
- Who: Line Manager and the Learner (Their report).
- Objective: To understand:-
- What are the Learner’s objectives for their training?
- How are they performing against those objectives?
- What does the Learner need from their Line Manager in order to achieve those objectives?
- Format: Over coffee, not formal.
- Success: The Learner has a breakthrough about what they need to do better to achieve their learning objectives.
- Questions: (Following the GROW model)
- G: By the time your hand hits the door-handle at the end of the meeting, what would you like to have achieved?
- R: What have you done about this issue/change so far? What results have you seen?
- O: What if you had total autonomy – what might you try instead?
- W: What might get in the way? How will you overcome any obstacles?
Try combining a 121 with the Time Management technique ‘Pomodoro’.
Create a 121 supporting session brief for a 30-minute 121 between a Line Manager and their Learner. Use it as a guide and for them to build upon.
For further useful tips and information, you can take a look at our Ultimate Guide to People Management Skills. Also, don’t forget to check out our YouTube Channel and our award-winning blog to see more helpful HR Management Tips and articles.